Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Bad week

It's been a bad week. I haven't posted much being out of town. I have been working 12-14 hour days so my eating has been sporadic. I have eaten when I could and it hasn't always been the best for me. I haven't been able to get to the hotel gym because by the time I get back to my hotel room, I need to find something to eat and get to bed to do it all again in the morning. It's not what was planned at all! I go home tomorrow (YAY!) so I am debating on whether I should step on the scale and see what the damage is or do my best for the rest of the week and just weigh myself on Monday...the decisions to make :).

So besides me feeling lousy about my week here, I turn on the TV in my hotel room and The Biggest Loser is on. I think there are certain aspects of the show are good, controlling food and making them exercise but at the same time I think it could be extremely unmotivational. Some were losing 2 lbs and 5lbs and that wasn't good enough. What is that telling people, if you don't lose that each week, that you are a failure?

4 comments:

Hanlie said...

I have to agree with you! I think shows like that can set us up with unrealistic goals. We have a local version, but I haven't been watching it. It just doesn't sit well with me.

Too bad about your week... These things happen. I think you should weigh when you normally weigh, suck up the damage and continue on your plan. No need for "damage control". Just follow the plan.

Good luck!

Grumpy Chair said...

I felt the exact same way. Why were these people who lost 2 pounds or 5 upset! Experts say 2 pounds is the most one should lose per week.

I think TBL is starting to show how unrealistic the weight loss expectations are in such a short time frame. Also, most of the winners have gained back some of the weight.

For the first time, I was a bit turned off last night by the show.

Lora said...

I agree that the show has some "hollywood" aspects because it is after all...a show. But I am motivated by the changes those people are able to accomplish. There is no sugar coating the hard work that goes into theer new lifestyles.
I don't like the fact that they feel like failures for only losing a pound or two either...but I still feel revved up to press on after I watch it each week. I guess it makes me feel like If they can do it - so can I!

G.G. said...

Hi! Just found your blog, and I'm going to enjoy looking through your older posts . . .