Thursday, January 10, 2008

Hate water? I have the answer!!!

...and it's good for you. First, let me tell you a story of a guy I dated for awhile. He turned out to be psychotic but one thing good came of it. Green tea! He introduced me to the wonderful world of real tea, not that Lipton crap or Arizona iced tea but real tea. He had cancer 12 years ago and someone had introduced him to green tea. He is cancer free and hasn't been sick (at all) since then (I should have started drinking it awhile ago, maybe this cold would be gone). He swears by it and I am getting to that point, as well.



Here's the scoop if you don't know about teas. I have done a great deal of research on it since he told me about it so I am going to share it with you. True tea comes from a plant called camellia sinensis plant. The stuff that we think is tea, really isn't. It is what they call tisane (resembles tea but does not come from the tea plant). Real tea does 3 amazing things: increases your metabolism, decreases your appetite and helps stabilize your blood sugar. (BTW, I got this part from the Ulitimate Tea Diet book. The man who wrote it is in the tea business and his family has been in it for eons). Even though he wrote this in his book, I have read it elsewhere. The real teas are white, green, oolong or black that comes from that plant, camellia sinensis. I just started religiously drinking it about two weeks ago. My appetite is not what it used to be, it is so much easier to get down my water, in fact I am drinking probably a gallon a day. I haven't had diet soda in two weeks and I crave the tea. Anyone that takes my ice tea maker, I will break off their fingers! In this book (which I am not trying to promote) there are different teas available to cure those cravings for say french fries or cheesecake. I haven't tried those yet but maybe one day.



So here's more good news about real tea. White and green teas have higher levels of antioxidants. Oolong and black tea, according to this book have been shown to be more effective in preventing certain diseases, such as heart disease and high blood pressure. However, all four types will aid in weight loss, reduce cholesterol and much more ( I can't remember everything).



So there's my speel on true tea. If you want to check it out, I bought mine at Imperial Tea Gardens on the web but I know there are a bunch of other places. I buy whole leaf because I have read somewhere it is better in that form and you can use it more than once unlike a teabag. I sweeten it with Splenda and carry around my water bottle whereever I go with my tea inside.



This is the best thing since sliced bread.

8 comments:

Dominique said...

Well now I am going to have to investigate TEA!

~ CurvyJones
curvygurlatl.squarespace.com

Chubby Chick said...

Thanks for the info.! I am going to have to check into this!

Lidian said...

Great post! I love love love tea, as you can tell from my blog title. My fave at the moment is Celestial Seasonings Vanilla Ginger Green Tea Chai, with vanilla soy milk. I also love Japanese green tea, the kind with toasted brown rice blended in, it is lovely.

Heather said...

I also love tea! I worked at starbucks for a while and they used to have this pomegranate tea there that was pom juice with green tea..it was amazing! they got rid of it though and I was really sad. plus, it helps things to get moving in the bathroom dept if you know what I mean! lol.

40 by 40 by SAS said...

Interesting! I am going to look into this..as I drink wayyyyyy to much diet pepsi. Thanks for sharing. I am on WW too..going well so far..sounds like it is for you too. Good luck.

Carleen said...

somebody else recently was mentioning tea in there blog- I'm just going to HAVE to try it !!

Take Care

Mrs Coetser said...

WOW

One dietitian also told me that you can count herbal with no sugar or milk as water.

This article is encouraging.

Tami said...

Thanks for the information! I am drinking too much diet pepsi and need to find a healthier alternative. Does this tea have caffeine?