Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Healthy You Challenge Intro

I stumbled across the Healthy You Challenge and joined because I thought I would do much better with the support than I do on my own. I have struggled with my weight all my life. Quite frankly, after 36 years I am tired of it. I have lost bits of weight here and there over the past but have almost always gained it back. Like I said in my previous post, I have been the same weight now for pretty much the last 13 years. I have never gone over 285 but I haven't gone below 250 either. I remember back in high school, how everyone thought I was fat. Looking back, I would kill to be at that weight again. I was 180 pounds. I know that to do this, my head needs to be there. My head is there, I just need to keep it there! I need to realize that I am worth it, and that just because I am heavy it does not make me worth less. My goals with this challenge is to get to a weight that I am comfortable with, whether that be 180, 165 or even 220. My biggest challenge is overcoming the emotional issues. I never thought I was an emotional eater but am thinking that maybe I tend to lean towards comfort foods (carbs, for me) when things in my life aren't going as planned.

The other big problem that I had (I have overcome!!) is drinking water. Well, I am now drinking green tea, which for those of you aren't familiar is better for you than drinking water. I have done a lot of research on it. I find myself craving it and am drinking about a gallon a day. It helps with your metabolism, gets rid of the free radicals in your body and flushes out toxins.

So I am here for long haul and wish all of you the best of luck and am here for support if you need it!

6 comments:

Heather said...

good luck with the challenge! you will find so much support. I also had a problem with water before I began this whole thing myself. I would drink like 3 glasses a day! not good. now Im up there at 8-9.

Wendi said...

I have such a problem with drinking water also, i love sweet tea. I'll have to look into green tea and maybe a sugar substitue.

Chubby Chick said...

I'm like you. I'm not really sure what my goal weight will be. At this point, 200 lbs. looks pretty darn good... though I officially set my goal weight on my blog as 176.6 lbs., which is a 200 lb. loss. But... I'm just taking it one day at a time and I'll think more about that when I actually am at 200 lbs.

I LOVE drinking water! I am SO glad that is not a problem for me. I've been drinking a gallon a day, and honestly, some days I feel like I could drink more. lol As far as the green tea... what brand do you get? And do you sweeten it? Any info. would be much appreciated! :)

Scale Junkie said...

I love that you've set your first goal as a mini goal. I'm trying to work that out for myself and I keep pushing it to the back, but it all goes with my whole struggle to reward myself.

I am like you, I do so much better when I journal my food. Seeing those calories add up in fitday keeps me from guessing at what a teaspoon of peanut butter is, some of those calories add up too quick.

I'm really glad you've joined the challenge!

Diana

Carleen said...

nice to meet you!! looking forward to getting to know you in the challenge!

Ready to Shrink said...

Crystal Light Makes these things called "On the Go" that you add to a bottle of water. I use the lightly lemon and it helps me get through it. I have a really hard time getting my water in as well.