Tuesday, January 8, 2008

A New Beginning

I haven't blogged in a really long time. Life tends to get busy. I stumbled across the Healthy You Challenge and decided that I am worth the time. So thank you to Chubby Chick for getting me to take an additional step to a healthier me.

I have been overweight all my life and have tried numerous methods during my 36 years on this Earth to try to lose the weight and be happy with my body image. I have had small successes but have always ended up right back where I started. I am the same weight now as I was back in 1994. I suppose that's a good thing, in a way. It could be worse, I could be heavier. When I have tried in the past, I get frustrated after a few weeks of being really good and not getting anywhere. I need to stop focusing on other's successes and realize that we are all different. This blog will be my way to remain accountable and maybe someday will be the source of support for others that may need it. Lord knows I need as much support as I can get.

I found the following off WebMd and thought I would post it so I could go back and read it when I need that sometimes well needed kick in the ass.

To reach your weight loss goal (or any goal, for that matter), you must develop a set of skills that will help you become successful, says Howard Rankin, PhD, psychologist for the international support group TOPS (Taking Off Pounds Sensibly), and author of The TOPS Way to Weight Loss: Beyond Calories and Exercise.

Some of the skills that will help you live your way to a thinner, healthier body, says Rankin, are:
  • Patience. Take things one step at a time. Give up one of your "downfall" foods at a time, for example, not all of them at once.
  • Visualization. Think about a specific situation you're going to encounter and how you will deal with it. "See" yourself going out to dinner and eating a healthy meal.
  • Accountability. Rely on a support group, friends, or even a therapist to whom you have to report.
  • Self-control. Realize that every time you resist successfully, you're developing self-control. Congratulate yourself each time you do this.
  • Goal-setting. Think in terms of small goals. You don't need to lose 60 pounds; all you need to lose is one pound next week. Each small goal you achieve will reinforce your motivation and set you up for success.
  • Journaling. Keep a written account of your actions, your thoughts, and your feelings, as well as what you eat. This not only increases your self-awareness, but also helps you let out feelings you may try to "stuff" back in with food.
  • Assertiveness. Learn to say no. Ask yourself, "Is this going to get me closer to my goal or further away?"
  • Remember the Rest of You

Finally, remember that you are more than someone who is trying to lose weight. This is especially true if you're a woman.

"Women tie too much of their self-esteem on their body image, which is likely to be distorted in a negative way, and not enough on other factors of their life," says Salvatore Cullari, PhD, professor emeritus of psychology at Lebanon Valley College in Annville, Pa.

The more "possible selves" a woman has, says Cullari, the less likely she is to be overwhelmed by body image issues, which can lead to self-consciousness, depression, vulnerability, and crash dieting.

"Avoid even thinking about the aspect of yourself that makes you feel inferior, like your body, and focus on another aspect of your life in which you are very successful," says Cullari. "For example, you may be a businessperson, a mother, a wife, a doctor, a gardener, a skier, etc. Allow yourself to concentrate on those other aspects of your life where you feel more satisfied."

2 comments:

Chubby Chick said...

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such a nice comment! I'm really glad that something about my blog helped you to get back on track. And I wish you all the success in the world! :)

I'm really glad that you joined the "Healthy You Challenge." You're going to quickly fall in love with all of the ladies... because they offer AWESOME support and encouragement! So... welcome aboard!

This was a great post. I enjoy learning everyone's history. So many of us have SO much in common! It's good to know that there are others out there who are going through the same stuff we are!

And thanks for sharing that article. It was very informative and makes a lot of sense. :)

Here's to a great 2008!

Ready to Shrink said...

This article was great. Thanks for sharing.