Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

My drive to work in the morning is a long one so it gives me time to think and I wasn't sure what I would write about today. I thought about how much I revealed in yesterday's post and kind of regretted it. Oops, too late now. I have a habit of that...I tend to say things without really thinking about it but usually it is me inserting my size 12s in my mouth :). I didn't have anything to talk about today, then on the radio came a news report about people injecting parasites to lose weight and how this is not a good idea. These "worms" grow up to 18 ft in length and will kill you.

So when I got to work I started searching on the Internet for ascaris. I couldn't find the exact news story but what I did find was absolutely disgusting!

Here is the article I found:

Sanitized tapeworm: Urban myth, or weight-loss wonder?

Posted: Oct 16th 2007 9:39AM by Martha EdwardsFiled under: Diet and Weight Loss

Here's an appalling example of how far people are willing to go for weight-loss: The sanitized tapeworm as a weight-loss tool.

You know how you used to quip that your cousin must have a tapeworm because they ate so much and yet never gained an ounce? Well, someone decided to capitalize on that, and started offering a baby tapeworm to people to swallow -- then tapeworm then eats your food. This first became a fad in the 1800s and luckily hasn't come back with much attention (that I can see) but there are people out there willing to try it!

Here's the problem with the tapeworm diet -- a tapeworm is a harmful medical condition. Doing so would be like injecting yourself with a severe stomach virus in order to lose 10 pounds in a couple of days. Tapeworms don't just eat your food -- they eat your nutrients, making you malnourished ... and with a grotesque, fluid-filled belly! I'm sorry to say but there's just no way to lose weight and maintain your weight loss without cutting out or really reducing your intake of junk food. So the sooner you accept that weight loss is hard work, the sooner you'll shed the pounds.

Of course, as my fingers did the walking I read more than I ever wanted to know about parasites in our bodies. YUCK! Anyone done any kind of detox cleanse and didn't feel like they were going to die in the process?

For now, I think I will stick with eating healthy and exercising and I can tell you this...it has curbed my morning appetite :).

4 comments:

Hanlie said...

Of course, in our society, intestinal parasites are extremely common. Anyone who eats meat and refined foods, or has pets, is likely to have them. A lot of "allergies" are actually parasite symptoms. We do an annual parasite cleanse at our house and it will be part of my Juice Feast this year.

RunningNan said...

I'll agree with you.. Eat healthy and exercise!

Heather said...

oh my goodness!! that is disgusting! the things people do to lose weight ...especially things that they could easily do on their own, without parasites!

the veggie paparazzo said...

That is horrifying . . . and shows how disordered our society is when it comes to eating, because the focus is so heavily on weight/size and not health.