Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Rewards & Visual Motivation

I had another great day yesterday, health-wise. I stayed within my points and I did not want to go to the gym. I asked the guy that was I seeing to tell me to go to the gym. He says "go to the gym", so I did. Whatever works, right? Once, I was there I was in that "Oh, I so don't want to do this" and the "oh this feels good" mode. I did 15 minutes on the bicycle with several intervals of sprinting for a total of about 5 miles. I, then did 15 minutes on the treadmill at about 3mph and then I moved over to the weights and did about 20 minutes on my arms. Yay, me! So two days so far this week. I plan on going every day this week. If I don't go to the gym, I have made an agreement with myself that I must use my core exerciser at home for at least 30 minutes or take a walk. I think I am finally in the right mindset again. I have a month before I have to go out of town again. That gives me enough time to really get into the habit of eating right and working out. All this healthy thinking and planning has brought other things to mind too.

I am a very visual person. I may see a few pound loss on the scale but I don't see it in the mirror so I feel I need other modes of visual motivation to keep me on track. I have my calendar on the fridge with my daily exercise and if I didn't exercise that day I have to write my reason why. I have another sheet of paper on the fridge and I give myself a star for each pound I lose. Yes, I bought myself a package of gold stars :). On my desk at work, I have a glass jar and for every pound I lose, I am going to put a glass bead in it.

I have been thinking about rewards. I thought about clothes but I am going to need clothes anyway, so how is that really a reward? The one thing that I have considered is pricey and many of you would probably think I'm crazy. I am a fan of Sylvia Browne, ever hear of her? She is a psychic. I know, I know you already think I am crazy but I do believe that some people are capable of seeing things that others can't. Now, so you don't think I am a total lunatic, I believe the majority of those that claim they can are quacks. Those of you that have had the chance to see Sylvia Browne probably know what I am talking about when I say this woman is amazing. Anyway, I digress. Her son has the ability as well. I can't afford Sylvia, I really can't afford her son but when I lose 50 pounds, I am going to get a reading from her son.

When I am at goal, I think my reward will be to finally take that trip I have always wanted to a dude ranch out west.

6 comments:

Hanlie said...

Oh yay for the dude ranch! That sounds awesome! I'd love to do a horseback safari one day, but my husband is allergic to horses.

Visual reminders are great! If that's what works for you, do it! And if you want a psychic reading, you can do it too! You may want to start dropping some currency in your jar for every pound lost, so by the time you get there, you can afford it!

Good luck!

Heather said...

good for you for getting your butt to the gym! I am very impressed.

I use clothes as a reward but it does get pricey. but for me, I figure, I need new clothes because all of mine are too big, plus it makes me feel good abotu what I am fitting into and dont want to go back to buying bigger sizes again.

I think your reward sounds great!

Ready to Shrink said...

I think your rewards sound like a blast! :) Congrats lady! You are doing awesome. Hmmmm I like the beads in a jar thing....I may have to steal that from you.

Grumpy Chair said...

I love the glass bead idea for every pound lost.

Great job on going to the gym when you didn't want to.

Manuela said...

Noticed you're counting points so I'm guessing you're doing WW. 7 years ago I lost 70lbs in 8 months just following the points and exercising.

I've gone up a bit since then--life changes, etc. and want to lose the 30 I've gained. Good for you and let me know if you have some good tips or want some advice.

RunningNan said...

I like the rewards! I too would hop at a chance to meet with sylvia or her son.