Monday, March 17, 2008

Adventures in Traveling and Weekly Weigh-In

Last week was a long week (and so is this post but you might find it amusing). 7 - 14 hour days took a toll on me not only mentally but physically. I was out of town living out of a suitcase and on these trips it is almost impossible to eat healthy *sigh. I ate when I could, which usually ended up being fast food as the Sales Rep I was riding with would whip through a drive thru before going to their next customer. By the time I would get back to my hotel at 9p or later, I had absolutely no energy much less desire to go down to the gym.

Saturday morning was going to be good though. I had an early flight home so I was planning on hitting the gym in the afternoon. Didn't happen. I find it almost humorous now. It all started at about midnight Friday night. My roommate calls me to tell me about bad weather in Atlanta. I am in NC. I care about the weather in Atlanta because ? Yes, I have my own meteorologist (insert sarcasm, here). This isn't the first time she has done this either. I am perfectly capable of turning on the weather channel or checking the weather on my laptop. I'm a smart girl, I can figure it out :). Apparently her mother called her from NY to tell her to call me because they thought I was in Atlanta. Well, if I was in Atlanta don't you think it would be obvious to me that there is bad weather there? I appreciate the good intentions but don't call me at midnight to tell me there is bad weather in another state. This started my own planes, trains and automobiles saga.

I had to be up at 4:30 for my early flight. I woke up at 6:30a. My hotel didn't give me my wake up call, I didn't hear my cell phone alarm, etc. I get to the airport and am put on the 9a flight but it has been delayed until 10a. Now, I will miss my connection in Atlanta.

All other connections in Atlanta to Tampa are full. They tell me I might have to wait until the morning. How about a different airline? They look there...the only option is for me to fly to Orlando. OK, I don't care where it is just get me south! So Orlando it is, I will just get a rental car to drive from Orlando to Tampa.

I get to Orlando, and surprisingly enough my luggage doesn't make it. I get my rental car and drive to Tampa, turn the car in and I am starting to feel a lot better about the day because I am getting close to home. I get in the elevator and realize oh *#(&, I left my laptops in the truck. The elevator goes up from the rental car floor but it doesn't go back. *sigh I have to go all the way to the terminal to try to figure out how to get back to the rental car return. About 20 minutes later, I get back to the rental car return. The car is gone. Luckily though, the Avis lady was very nice and had dispatch bring it to me. I get to my car and my front tire is low *sigh. Luckily, one of the airport employees saw me and he went and got a compressor. I am lucky that my plane didn't fall out of the sky! I finally get home at 5p (should have been 11a). I did get my luggage at 10p so now all is good except my weigh in. I gained 3 lbs :( and I have to do this all again next week *sigh.

Obviously, I am not happy about my weigh in but totally expected it considering what I have eaten this past week. I didn't have any good options while I was there. The hotel's website had said they had restaurant facilities, which they ended up not having. The only thing nearby was Starbucks, Sonic and Bojangles. That was my food choice at 9p each night when I would get off work.

So this week, I am going to have to work extra hard at the gym to lose this 3lbs and try to get a head start going into next week. Luckily, after the next trip that should be the last one for a long time so I can get back to my normal routine.

3 comments:

Hanlie said...

Traveling can be a nuisance! And it wreaks havoc on our healthy lifestyle. Glad you're back safely and hope you have a great week!

RunningNan said...

Wow.. I'm tired just reading that! I'm glad to hear that everything has been returned to you. Maybe just maybe, it's water weight brought on by sodium laden food... I'm sure you did the best you could with the options you had! I wish you lots of luck on your next trip!

Manuela said...

Glad you're back! I've always thought that it would be great to travel for work and then I read about headaches like this and think I'll save the travel for vacation.

Good luck to you while you're away. It's hard to stay in control and on schedule but keep positive!