Friday, May 2, 2008

Positive Thinking

I have always thought that our minds are very powerful and can help us recover from illnesses. I can't tell you how many times I think it helped me when I was first diagnosed with Lupus 14 years ago. So why haven't I been able to incorporate this into my fight against the bulge? I really don't have the answer to that but am working my way towards an answer.

I have been doing a great deal of soul searching recently. A part of that comes from a friend that is in AA. It has been a long journey of discovery for him. If he continued to think the same way he did before he quit drinking, he wouldn't still be sober today. You have to change the way you think, the way you look at things in your life. In order to do this, he committed himself to going to meetings every single day. He has rarely ever missed a meeting. I have so much respect and admiration for what he is doing! So why do I have a problem with going to the gym every day? It's the thinking, baby!

The way you think of yourself becomes your reality. There have been times when I have suffered from poor self image (usually on bad hair days), lack of confidence (yep, the hair again), lack of confidence and depression. There have been times in my life where I have just said, "I will just always be fat"....blah blah blah. Ever think that it could be a self-fulfilling prophecy?

I have been reading everything I can get my hands on to get my head in the right place. What I have read is changing my self-talk (so if you see me talking to myself, I am really ok, really). So what if I told myself every day that I can do this. I can lose weight and be healthy. I am going to eat well today and I will feel good about myself. Maybe that's the difference between us succeeding and us failing.

So one of the things I read, is to find out what you have been telling yourself. So, I am going to answer the questions here...here goes.

1. Do you have a negative self-image?
Sometimes. Sometimes I feel that if I was thinner I would be happier. I would be able to do all the things I have wanted to do and have been afraid to. I didn't want to bring attention to myself and have everyone point and laugh at the fat girl.

2. Do you lack self-confidence?
Again, sometimes for the same reasons above. It's funny though. Some days I radiate self confidence. I think it's the hair!

3. Do you feel powerless?
No, I don't think so. I do, however feel sometimes that my willpower just isn't there.

4. Do you label yourself in negative or self-deprecating ways?
No, I have never labeled myself as the happy, fat girl. If anything, I avoid the word fat altogether.

So, looking at my answers to those questions I definitely have some work to do on how I think.

So, going forward these are going to be my daily affirmations.

"I weigh 170 pounds. I exercise daily. I take good care of my body. I am proud of what I have accomplished for myself."

By looking after my body through sensible exercise and eating, I'm showing that I love and respect myself. This will make every part of my life better.

The brain wiping/washing shall commence...

4 comments:

Scale Junkie said...

I'm a firm believer in the power of positive thinking. I think that if you let yourself dwell on the negative you attract more negative into your life and the same goes with positives.

I think that comparing your friends sobriety to your weight loss journey is full of merit. He has to choose sobriety every single day just like we have to choose healthy every single day.

I think we're on a great path and our goals are within reach. Talk about self fulfilling prophecies, did you read my post today? You were MY prophecy!

Crystal said...

It's funny you should write about this cuz I was just thinking some of these thoughts on my way home today, such as: Why is this so hard? I used to be able to start a diet and stick to it but this time around I don't seem to have the willpower.

I think you're right that we need to be filled with positive thoughts and continue to motivate ourselves-can't rely solely on others!

P.S. I live in south florida, about 20 minutes from Ft. Lauderdale.

Manuela said...

Hey there, any news on the challenge front? I'm raring to go!

Have a great weekend and see you Monday, maybe?

Samantha said...

Great post. It's interesting to know that building self-confidence can be as easy as ABC. Interestingly enough, www.confidencebuildingcourses.com offer good tips too. Might be interesting to check it out.