Thursday, June 5, 2008

Going strong

First, I want to thank FB (Fat Bridesmaid) for challenging me this week to go to the gym for 3 1-hour workouts. If it wasn't for her challenging me, I probably wouldn't have gone. Granted, I have been shy my one hour both days, but I am there and am really damn close to the hour. I have done 55 minutes Tuesday and Wednesday and plan to do the same today.

I have read conflicting reports on how to exercise or should I say the order of exercise when doing both weights and cardio. I have read that you should do weights first to burn off the glycogen so when you head over to cardio, it will start burning fat faster. Then I have read reports that you should do cardio first. If anyone can clarify any of this information, that would be great. Anyway, because there are conflicting reports I do it both ways. I am not a big fan of most cardio equipment. In fact, I hate most of it but I know I have to so I suck it up and do it anyway. Walking on a treadmill for 30 minutes is almost impossible to me, not because I can't do it but because I HATE it but walking is a good warm up for me and it gets me sweating. I have been doing 20 minutes on the treadmill, then I head over to the weights. I do three sets of 12-15 on each machine (most machines) then it's off to the bike. The bike is where I sweat like a pig. Do pigs sweat? I start off around 80 rpms and about every two minutes, I up the intensity to as fast as I can go (around 111 rpm) for about 2 minutes, then bring it back it down. Rinse, repeat. It kicks my behind! I could only make it 15 minutes doing this. Going to try for an extra five today.

I am determined to go to the gym five days a week now, provided work life doesn't get in the way. In fact, I am anxious throughout the day to get to the gym.

I am doing the America on the Move challenge brought to us by lovebug and I reached my first scenic point..yay! Since the beginning of my walk on June 1st, I have made 29,372 steps (I have converted my other exercise to steps) which averages to 9730 a day.

Prairie Schooner Wagon
Click to Listen

Covered Wagon
A family of four needed more than a thousand pounds of food to sustain them on the 2000 mile journey to Oregon. The only practical way to haul that amount of food was by wagon, which usually only measured four feet wide by ten feet long. With such limited space, the emphasis was on essential tools and food. The recommended amount of food to take for an adult was: 200 pounds of flour20 pounds of corn meal 150 pounds of bacon20 pounds of sugar 10 pounds of coffee 15 pounds of dried fruit 10 pounds of salt 1/2 pound of baking soda2 pounds of tea 5 pounds of rice 15 pounds of beans

BTW...Here is a nifty link to convert other activities into steps if you are tracking steps. http://www.womenshealth.gov/woman/tracking.cfm .

7 comments:

goodbyetoallfat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
goodbyetoallfat said...

Well done on your 9,730 steps a day and your focus to hit the gym 5 times a week!

The info about what the average prairie wagon contained was very interesting -- where was the room for the human beings left inside there? Lol! :-)

Sharon

Lora said...

You know what? I don't think it relly matters which comes first - the cardio or the weights. As long as you do it (which you are!)

Sometimes I think we get so technical about out dieting and exercise that we discourage ourselves. If we just learn to eat less and move more - things will happen!

Big Girl said...

I've always heard that you should do a short carido warm up first, then weights and then a cardio workout last. But, I just think it's most important to get the exercise however you want to do it.

Good job on your steps! It's good prep for your July challenge =)

Lovebug6100 said...

Thanks for the plug and I'm glad you're enjoying the walk. I'm glad you posted that step counter....I've been converting my steps too. One day I gardened for like 3 hours but didn't do much walking and I was not going to lose credit for all that effort! Keep up the great work!!

ptg said...

As far as cardio or weight training first, the theories change depending on what field of practice you're in.

Boiling it all down - do what you think is MOST important first, because no matter what, you'll have more energy to do it. If you do cardio first, more energy is going to go towards that and when you get to weight training, your muscles will be somewhat fatigued from what you've just done. The same goes vice versa.

Personally, I always do cardio first, but that's just me. :o)

FAT BRIDESMAID said...

I'm so glad you're rockin' my challenge to you! I did 55 minutes today, but I'm planning to ROCK OUT tomorrow morning.