Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Wednesday post early....

I won't be around Wednesday because a bunch of us at work have taken a day off to volunteer time with Habitat for Humanity (let's hope it is not 95 degrees out).

Thursday, I hope to catch up on everyone's blog. Work has been crazy the past few days and haven't had much time to do anything so bear with me. With that said, I want to tell all of you that I appreciate you and your support. Now, with that said I want to bring up a touchy subject. I wasn't sure whether or not I should write about it, but decided this is my blog and I am bothered by it so I am going to write about it. I am not going to bring up names because I don't want there to be hard feelings, as we are all here for the same reason and need the support of others.

Anyway, I opened my email today (Tuesday) and there was an email in there that I took offense to. I may have been mistaken in the way I read it but normally if I see capital letters in an email I feel as if the person is yelling at me (Internet etiquette). This email was in regards to the challenge that I started. The emailer had emailed me a few days ago to let me know that something had changed and I responded and said I would make the update when I made the rest of the updates. I made the change. For whatever reason, this emailer was not seeing the change made so she emailed me in what I feel was a condescending tone. I emailed back in a very similar tone telling her to not bite my head off, which of course didn't help matters any. I received another lovely email in return with numerous exclamation points and for me to be kind if I am running a website. Now to my point...

Now, I am not running a website. This is my own personal blog and it is everyone's choice if they want to visit me (I do appreciate the visits even if we don't always agree). I am doing this challenge out of the goodness of my heart, the prizes are coming from my pocket and I am not making any money with this blog (nor do I want to). I thought, by doing this challenge it might keep people motivated, myself included.

Now, to the person that sent me the email. Please understand this is not a company website. This is my personal blog. This is out of the goodness of my heart. If there is a problem with the data that is shown, please email me or post a comment but don't yell at me and please be patient. When someone yells at me, I tend to automatically go into defensive mode. Now, I don't know if you intended to yell in your email but that is how it was perceived. This is a very time consuming process and it would be nice if it was appreciated. I am trying to please everyone and apparently I am not doing a very good job *sigh.

I have re-read this post over and over again because I don't want to come off as harsh but I think no matter how I say it, it's going to be perceived as harsh.

15 comments:

goodbyetoallfat said...

I think some of you who run these team challenges and competitions on your blogs are *crazy* to take on so much work.

I've only been blogging 4 weeks and it takes a lot of time just to keep my blog up-to-date, read a dozen other blogs every day, respond to e-mails etc.

I do not know how you do it, and although I personally choose not to join in group challenges (I have enough of a hard time keeping up with my own) I know that other people do appreciate them.

It is difficult sometimes with emails when a person's tone of voice that they intended something to be read can be misinterpreted. Very often the sender won't realise how negatively their words have been read the other end.

Have a great day on Wednesday with the Habitat for Humanity and hope you are less stressed by Thursday!

Best wishes,
Sharon

Heather said...

aw that sucks! even if the person didnt mean it like that, they have to realize that you are one person and this is your blog. I got an interesting "comment" on my blog from someone who took one of my posts a little too seriously and so I know what yo umean. its our own blogs and for most of is, we just want to have a good time and express ourselves in whatever way that we want. I know that most people appreciate the work that went into what you did so dont stress too much about it.

MaryFran said...

From a non-yelling (unless I do it accidentally and don't catch it before I hit send) participant in the Summer challenge that you are graciously hosting. Thank you! Thank you for taking the initiative to do it and thank you for taking the time to organize and carry out this challenge. I greatly appreciate it!

Thinking Thin said...

Thank you guys, I appreciate it. The email just really bothered me and if I don't say something, it just festers (which is not good).

Thanks for your support and your appreciation...I love ya man :P

Manuela said...

First thing I thought upon reading this was, yikes, did I use any capital letters in an email?

I too read the message Heather got and am sorry that some people come off negatively, either by accident or on purpose.

For my sake, I thank you and others for making this experience fun and challenging. I agree with Sharon, I don't know how you keep up with it and a full-time job but I appreciate it and love my ribbon, btw!

And, never be afraid of expressing yourself. If someone doesn't like it, as Cartman said once on South Park (hope nobody takes offense at this :), they can "shut the fudge up" and go somewhere else.

Scale Junkie said...

Great job with the running the challenge B!! Congrats to everyone who is participating and taking active control over their lives.


Enjoy your habitat work, its very fulfilling!

Manuela said...

oops, Cartman said "get the fudge out"

my bad!

TB--Milwaukee said...

I HATE MEAN PEOPLE!!!

;)

These blogs definitely can take control over your life, don't let it get to you.

Stacy Cartwright said...

thank you for taking your time out of your life to host this challenge.

Shanna said...

Awww....mean people suck! =)

Don't let it get to you. You are doing such a good thing for soooo many people, and sometimes the mean ones are allot louder, then the grateful ones. And unfortunatley, I sometimes fall into the grateful, but quiet category. So let me change that right now by speaking up; "Thank You!" You help inspire me and I look forward to reading your blogs. Always remember, for every 1 mean jerky person that loves to bring others down with them, there is about 100 others who truly appreciate all that you are doing, especially sharing your personal thoughts with us!

Good Luck with Habitat...you see what I mean....your gonna go build a freakin' house for people! You are truly an awesome person. You go girl!

RunningNan said...

I swear I could make a living off of passing out puppy hugs from Nora! I think email is such a hard way to express feelings... You can't ever tell how someone comes off. I think it's wonderful that you are taking your time on your personal blog to do it. I know that I'm lazy, forgetful and everything in between so I could never do that!

ptg said...

As I read your entry today, I went through the emails I've sent thinking - "Did I use all caps!?" If I did, I apologize!! I think you're amazing for doing all this hard work to keep everyone motivated and I, for one, thank you immensely for doing so!!!

Trish said...

I just wanted to say that you are appreciated, at least by me. Thanks so much for running this challenge.

Crystal said...

I think you did a great job expressing your feelings. People should not be so quick to pass judgment on others and should realize how much time and energy doing these challenges must be for you. Try not to let it ruin your day/week.

It's awesome that a group of you are doing work with Habitat...such a good cause.

weelittleme said...

Aw gee, it is pretty crappy that some people need to be like that. Only takes one cranky apple to mess up the bunch eh. Well I think you are doing a great job and can only imagine the time it takes. Take care and keep up the good work