Friday, July 18, 2008

5-bite diet

Have you heard about the 5-bite diet? I just heard about it on the radio this morning and I had to look it up. Curiosity, you know!

Apparently, according to Dr. Alwin Lewis, author of Why Weight Around recommends the five bite approach to weight loss. He seems to think that five is the perfect number of bites to take at a meal. Not four and definitely not six, but five bites. Would that be big bites or little bites? If I am eating only 5 bites, good thing I have a big mouth :)

Here are the guidelines:

Drink as much of anything as you want as long as it doesn't contain calories.
Take 5 bites of any food at lunch.
Take 5 bites of anything at dinner.
Take one multi-vitamin every day.
Get a bit of protein a day "on average".

Dr Lewis claims that after three days on this diet you will no longer be hungry: "that then resets what you body sees as full". Once you have reached your weight you can go back to "eating normally". So is this a self-inflicted lap band? I could see how this would re-program your brain and/or your stomach to accept smaller portions of food to feel full. However, how many people that have tried this really stopped at 3 days? Lewis sets an expection of 13 pounds a week in his book. Is he insane? How can that be healthy? I want to see the success stories. Where are the people 2 years later? Did they keep the weight off? Are they healthy?

I think I will just stick with what I am trying to do...limit processed foods, nothing with high fructose corn syrup, more fresh foods, more whole grains and I will take more than 5 bites!

19 comments:

RunningNan said...

That sounds odd to me. It's pretty much just portion control if you ask me!

spunkysuzi said...

That would drive me insane!!

Allison said...

Five bites total? For each meal? Ha! Don't think I could do it.

Manuela said...

What about breakfast?

I'm sorry but that is the most ridiculous diet I've seen in a while. 5 bites? I don't know about you but my brain is too smart to fall for that. It would know that it isn't getting the right amount of anything!

You should totally stick with what you're doing. You're getting healthier and smarter all the time and don't need gimmicks to change it around!

Katschi said...

That would make me even more neurotic around food than I already am.
Claims of losing 13 lbs in a week screams "fad diet".
It's better that we listen to our own stomachs to let us know when we're satiated IMO.

quarterlifegirl said...

Wouldn't that slow down your metabolism if you ate so little? (Although I can picture myself now...trying to stuff as much food as I can with each bit, lol) Yeah, I'll stick to using traditional portion control.

I guess the concept in general makes sense, because when I start eating NORMAL portions my body gets used to it and I get full faster. But 5 bites? Doesn't sound normal to me.

Shanna said...

I don't know about you, but I could probably down about 2 & 1/2 Krispy Kreme donuts in 5 bites! Would that be OK on that plan. =)

Not much of a lifestyle change...keep up what you are doing, I think its alot healthier!!

Thinking Thin said...

Oh, I had no plans on persuing this insane way of controlling what I eat. I am not into the fad diets and diet pills. That's no way to improve your lifestyle.

Jori said...

5 bites is what you need to actually determine if you even LIKE the dish...

Crazy, crazy, CRAZY what people will do to try and lose weight. I like your approach better - slow and steady, and for the long haul!

Big Girl said...

Yeah, I'm kinda thinking that your plan sounds better.

have a great weekend

new*me said...

I could see how it would work but most likely wouln't be very nutritionally sound depending on what you choose to "bite"....there are some strange diets out there!

Heather said...

interesting...never heard of it. Im sure it works in the beginning, but Im sure its not long lasting. not too many people can go their whole lives eating only 5 bites of something. Especially when that somethign is salad for example...salad doesnt make people fat so I would think 5 bites for something healthy is just silly.

weelittleme said...

Sounds like an eating disorder to me! Sad to think that some people might actually think this sounds like a good idea. Good to see you are giving it the miss.

Katschi said...

Off topic: I made the stuffed chicken with provolone & olives today. Thanks for the recipe!

Cammy said...

Oh shoot. There goes my weigh-in. I had 7 bites of Fiber One bar. :)

Thanks for the info, but I'm with you into sticking with the current plan.

(But you can bet I'm going to blame my # of bites if I have a gain this week. *G*)

Crystal said...

That doesn't sound all that healthy to me..right up there with the coffee and bread diet or the grapefruit diet. Sure you lose weight but I don't see someone being able to maintain a diet like that indefinitely. Changing our eating habits should be a lifestyle change that can be maintained. I think you're better off with your approach, too.

Xeta Prime said...

I'm starting this on Sunday and am very excited. Yes it sounds crazy! You can now find him on Youtube and I'm ready to get serious. Which is worse? A water fast or The 5 Bite Diet? I don't know.

But here I go :)

S a k i n e e e e ;; said...

I think it sounds GREAT i started today, someone i know did it and lost 19 pounds the first week!
So exciting, im 12 nearly 13(:

marie13 said...

I lost about 100 lbs in a little under a year on this diet. I would jump on and off the plan which is why it took me so long. It continues to be my fall back plan. I takes time and A LOT of will power. But it was so worth it when I would see the numbers on the scale drop, it was all I needed to keep going.