Thursday, July 17, 2008

Recipe Thursday

I haven't gone to the gym this week. I should be flogged but I haven't been feeling very well, either. Last night I went home and was in bed by 6:30p (very unlike me), which could explain why my back is killing me. I am going to attempt to get there today, it would probably be good for my back to do a little bit of exercise and it might help with my energy level that seems to be non-existant this week.

So onto, our recipe. I haven't tried it yet but plan to this next week when I add more protein to my diet. I found the recipe online somewhere, I just can't remember where (a cancer website, I think) It sounds yummy!

Provolone and Olive Stuffed Chicken Breasts









  • Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup shredded provolone cheese, preferably aged
  • 3 TBS chopped California ripe olives
  • Ground Pepper to taste
  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (1 -1 1/4 lb total)
  • 1 egg white (I will probably replace with egg beaters)
  • 1/2 cup plain dry breadcrumbs (I might replace with crushed cornflakes)
  • 1/2 TSP salt
  • 2 TSP extra virgin olive oil
Instructions:

Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly coat a baking sheet with sides with cooking spray. Combine the provolone, olives and pepper in a small bowl. Lightly beat the egg white with a fork in a medium bowl. Mix the breadcrumbs and salt in a shallow dish. Cut a horizontal slit along the thin, long edge of a chicken breast half, nearly through to the opposite side. Open up each breast and place one-fourth of the cheese filling in the center. Close the breast over the filling, pressing the edges ¬firmly together to seal. Repeat with remaining chicken breasts and filling. Hold each chicken breast half together and dip in egg white, then dredge in breadcrumbs. (Discard leftovers.) In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned on one side, about 2 minutes. Transfer chicken to the prepared baking sheet, browned-side up, and bake until it is no longer pink in the center or until an instant-read thermometer registers 170°F, about 20 minutes. 242 CALORIES PER SERVING; 9 G FAT; 68 MG CHOLESTEROL; 11 G CARBOHYDRATE; 27 G PROTEIN; 572 MG SODIUM. SERVES 4 READY TO EAT: 50 MINUTES


MY NOTES:

I may skip the browning in the skillet altogether and instead of using Egg Beaters, I might coat in fat free honey mustard dressing and bake.

12 comments:

Katschi said...

Say cheese & olives & I'm at attention.
This sounds like a delicious dinner recipe.
I hope you feel better, Bonnie. It sucks to feel low.

Manuela said...

Sounds delish--let us know if you like it.

I hope that your back is better with a bit of stretching. Mine has been bugging me too and sometimes I wonder if it's my mattress.

I noticed that my weight update isn't in the chart. When you get a chance, can you get me down for my 1 lb. down? Thanks for the hard work you put into it each week, especially as you're not feeling too well.

My recipe for today was really something I just threw together but it was so tasty I'll be having it for lunch

Manuela's Pasta

1 c. cooked whole wheat pasta
2 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
1 clove garlic, diced fine
Sundried tomatoes in olive oil, chopped
1 oz. Monterey Jack with jalapeno

I sauteed the garlic in a bit of the oil the tomatoes came in. I then tossed that with the pasta to coat, added the parsley and tomatoes, then topped it with the cheese until it was nice and melty.

I figured this at 5 pts. per serving.

Thinking Thin said...

Manuela, I don't know what you are talking about..your weight is there :P j/k I just added it :)

QL girl said...

I am salivating just looking at that...mmmm...gotta add that to my list!!!

carla said...

Listen to yer bod, Missy!

If you're not 100% percent do some active rest. Maybe just a walk?

Backs can be tricky.

MizFit

Big Girl said...

The chicken sounds good to me. I heart olives and cheese.

Hope your back feels better soon.

Jori said...

Yum...may have to give that one a go! Not a big black olive fan, though...do you think it would be as good with green?

...and as an FYI...I've been reading your blog for a long time - since before you started the challange - just never commented before. (I'm shy...)

new*me said...

man that sounds great! We eat chicken very often here so I am always looking for new ways to prepare it.

Hope you are feeling better soon :)

Cammy said...

Oh that looks scrumptious! Paired with a nice fresh salad, and I'd be in heaven.

So what time do we eat? :)

Thanks for the recipe!

Scale Junkie said...

That looks delicious!

I think the weather lately has been draining every ounce of energy out of us...we still need to get together, I'm free Saturday morning but I'm guessing you won't be because thats the way it always works with our schedules haha

John J. Kaiser said...

I like the goals that you listed at the top of the page. Best of wishes achieving them.

http://totaltransformation.wordpress.com

Katschi said...

I made this tonight! I have a picture to prove it :) It was delicious and it's on my favourites list, now. Thanks!