Tuesday, August 5, 2008

It's Not about Cheating

I get tips sent to my email each day from Jillian Michaels. If you don't know who that is, that is the female physical trainer from the Biggest Loser. Some days, there are some great tips. The one I received yesterday was about the word 'cheating'. As we strive to live a healthier lifestyle all of us are guilty or have been guilty in the past (including me) of using words with negative connotations. Cheating, I was bad, I failed, etc. You get the point. We are our own worst enemies. I have said this before, if we think that we are going to fail, we will. So if we are using negative words, is that subconsciously putting is up for failure?

Anyway, here is the tip I received in my email and thought I would share. Cheating is no longer part of my vocabulary!

It's Not About Cheating

For some people, eating more to make up for a caloric deficit on a particular day feels like cheating. To them, I say: Cheating doesn't exist. Try to banish that concept entirely. This is not about cheating; it's about balance. If you happen to eat more than your plan requires on one day, work out harder and eat less the next. "Cheating" is a gross word with negative connotations that imply you're "bad" in some way. Forget that word! Some days we eat less, and some we eat more. In the long run, as long as the more moderate days outweigh the less moderate days, you will achieve weight loss. It's that simple.

However, if you find that you're frequently short on calories at the end of the day, you might try planning your meals more carefully. Take a look at some of the program's sample menus so you can see how I spread calories throughout the day. Go for higher-calorie snacks, like raw or dry-roasted nuts. Keep in mind that there are many higher-calorie foods that are still healthy. For example, hearty whole-grain bread can have up to 120 calories per slice, while other kinds may have only 60. Choose your products based on your individual needs. Increasing your portions a bit in each meal might also help.

Day Two of Perfect Week Update:

Breakfast: (9)
1/2 cup Egg Beaters (2)
1 1/2 cups Ore Ida Potatoes (2)
3 slices precooked bacon (2)
Coffee w/creamer (3)

Lunch: (10.5)
4 oz provolone/olive stuffed chicken breast (6)
4 pierogies (4.5)
1/2 cup broccoli/cauliflower (0)

Snacks: (1)
1 cup grapes (1)

Dinner: (7)
4 slices whitewheat bread (4)
3 tbs light cream cheese (3)
1 cup cucumbers (0)

Snacks: (2)
rice krispie

Total Points Used: 29.5 Points (allowed 33)
Activity: 3 points earned
15 min stationary bike 3.3 miles
15 min treadmill @3 mph
5 min treadmill @3.1 mph

6 comments:

Shanna said...

Great Post! I get that newsletter too. Jillian is one awesome chick! Wouldn't it be awesome to have her as a trainer!

Here's to no more "Cheating"! Does that mean we have an "open relationship" with food??? I like that! =)

Amy S. said...

Thanks for this post. I have had a rough couple of days on my eating, so I guess I just need to remember that balance is key. This was perfect timing. I didn't cheat, but I will make up for my higher calories by balancing today.

spunkysuzi said...

Nice post. Totally off topic when i clicked on the challenge it worked today ;) Thanks

quarterlifegirl said...

I definitely liked this post. I'm also removing cheating from my vocabulary!! Where can I sign up for her newsletters?!! lol

Big Girl said...

Great information. I like this concept "This is not about cheating; it's about balance."

ptg said...

I agree with quarterlifegirl - where can I sign up for her posts?

Great post, BTW...and totally makes sense too.