Thursday, August 28, 2008

Recipe Thursday

Yes, today is Recipe Thursday. I know you are all waiting for more dirt on 6pack, none today :). I am still mulling over a poem he wrote and sent me yesterday. So moving on ...

Today is a breakfast recipe, seeing as breakfast is usually a difficult meal for me seeing as I hate oatmeal. I try it and try it and try it with the hopes that one day my tastes buds will jump for glee. Each time, I vow that I will never dry the paste again.

Oatmeal seems to be a miracle food in some ways. Those that eat it every day seem to lose more weight. It could be coincidental. So, on the WW forums someone gave me a recipe to try. I haven't tried it yet, although I do plan to when I get the ingredients on my next shopping trip.

And here it is...

Oatmeal Custard
(not sure who it actually came from, it's been passed around - WW member)

Ingredients:
1 egg
1/2 cup uncooked oatmeal
1 cup fat free milk
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp Splenda
1 tsp FF vanilla pudding mix
Optional 1/2 cup berries Instructions

Instructions:
Mix all ingredients together and bring to heat over medium heat until thickened. I like to add 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries. It's a dream! It's also a pretty big portion.

6 comments:

carla said...

mulling & not sharing. probably smart yet Im still disappointed :)

Ive never ever thought of anything like the recipe you posted.
the pudding addition? I think Id love that.

thanks.
and, Im certain, my Tester Toddler thanks you as well.

Miz.

Manuela said...

That actually sounds like a yummy dessert idea!

I like to use the steel cut oats--they take longer to cook but are the healthier option. Do you have a slowcooker? I've heard of some people doing it that way. When it's close to finishing, I add a 1/4cup milk to get it creamy and then add fruit (I've been loving peaches this summer!)

Mulling is a good thing to get stuff in perspective. Anytime you want some input, btw, ask!

Scale Junkie said...

This sounds really good and it sounds like something Ken would eat too, I don't have frozen blueberries but rather a frozen berry mix and I think that would be quite tasty too! I'm adding this to my recipe file! Thank you!

Sherre said...

Thanks for the recipe. Like you, I also don't like oatmeal (but know it's good for us), but this sounds like a way to make it work!

new*me said...

mulling is what I do best ;) Mull away, I say! The recipe looks yummy. Oatmeal rocks in my book and I eat it almost every day so I will try it out. I bet my kiddos will love it too.

Jori said...

I was going to suggest the same alternative that Manuela did. Steel cut oats - they are more of a whole grain than plain old oatmeal...has a bit of crunch/chewiness to it. Awesome mixed with blueberries!

Thanks for the new recipe.