Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Belly Dancing = Improvement in Self Confidence

I feel like I have been going to belly dancing classes forever now but I just looked back into my blog history and it looks like last night was my 5th class. I still feel like a baffoon but the instructor says I don't give myself enough credit. She says I have natural talent. I don't see it. Of course, that could still have something to do with me wearing workout clothes to the class. It's hard to be in the "groove" without the attire. I wear my coin scarf over my gym clothes. Are you getting a visual? Sexy, huh? hehe. Once a month, there is a restaurant that has belly dancers come in and dance. I guess anyone can participate and we are talking about going next month. I am not going to participate, at least not yet. If I was to ever perform like that, that will be a huge thing for me. That might be another fear to overcome someday. I have a feeling as I lose more weight, my self confidence is going to improve (I see it already) and the things that I have feared for so long will no longer seem so scary. I can start really living. It's a shame that I have used my weight as a crutch for my entire life. I still continue to do so but I am seeing improvement. I am excited about really living but one step at a time. One day at a time, one belly dancing class at a time.

11 comments:

RunningNan said...

My luck, my boob would smack someone in the face! I think you should try it some time!

Cammy said...

Love the 'not yet-edness' of your words. You're well on your way to doing it...some day. :)

carla said...

oh that I lived near you---Id SO invite myself to tag along to a class.

Thinking Thin said...

Oh, I would love it if you guys lived in the area so you could tag along and see how silly I look...hehe

Liz said...

You make belly dancing seem like so much fun! :)

new*me said...

I have totally felt more sexy since I have lost weight...........hubby comments all the time ;) SO I think belly dancing can't help but bring out that sexy in you! On Oprah the other day they were saying you should always have matching bra and panties.........to feel sexy....even if it's just for you!

JC said...

Love this post. I'm glad your trying something new. I should be so brave. There is a woman in my WW group who has been belly dancing for year. She loves it. She decided to demonstrate for me and a few other women after WW meeting one night. She handed me her sword and I know she read my "What the _ _ _ _ is this" look on my face. Anyway, I'm not ready for belly dancing but I'm proud of you. Oh, did I tell you this took place in a church (who doesn't believe in dancing at all) parking lot. I still laugh every time I think about it.

Jori said...

What was it you told me... practise saying "I am sexy" and you will soon begin to feel it.
Hmm.....
Words to live by for both of us, perhaps??

moonduster said...

That's so great that your taking lessons! I've always wanted to take belly dancing lessons!

Katschi said...

Bellydancing is something I'd like to try, too. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the classes. Is a performance for A in the future??:)

Katschi said...

Bellydancing is something I'd like to try, too. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the classes. Is a performance for A in the future??:)