Tuesday, October 28, 2008

What is motivating me...

Biggest Loser Update: Andrea is still kicking some major butt with a total 6% loss so far. Andrea you also motivate me. Thank you :). I will update the others as I get more data.

I have noticed many of you are losing your motivation. Why? Is it because the holiday season is rapidly approaching? I am such an oddball because usually every year, I lose weight at the holiday season. I just could care less about all the candy and the cakes. Anyway, I digress (as usual).

My motivation is increasing. This is not a normal thing for me. I am not used to it, but I like it. I think I know what is causing this oddity. Want to know what it is? No, it's not A (well maybe a small part of it). It's the classes that I am going to. I never would have imagined that mustering up the courage to go to these classes would lead me to crave them. Yes, I said crave them. Yesterday, I was dog tired and I went home and didn't want to go. Just like the other week, at 5:30 I got up, changed my clothes, went to the gym and did the class. I have not missed a class since I started going. For those of you that haven't tried the classes, have you not tried them out of fear?

Let me tell you. I haven't done many things throughout my life because of fear. I don't want people watching the fat chic. You hear people whispering, and you assume it's about you. As a kid, it usually was about you. Of course as a kid, they weren't as subtle about it. They would yell their nasty names at me, across the playground (I hope they are fat now -shame on me). That stays with you into adulthood. I am sure I am not the only one that has suffered the ridicule of cruel kids and adults throughout their life. Anyway, so that fear of being the center of attention has always kept me from trying those classes until that one day about 6 weeks ago. I haven't missed a class since. If you can muster up the courage, go to one. Trust me, you will find that exercise goes quickly. You will no longer dread going. I dreaded the treadmill. I would rather be hung upside down by my toenails.

Here's what to expect. You won't know the steps. You might be the only one in the class that doesn't know the steps. You may even look like a fool (referring to me in my belly dancing class). What I found, no one is watching you. If they are, so what. They were there once too. I have learned to laugh at myself. The best part, each week it's gets easier. I regret not going sooner! It has helped my self confidence, my weight loss efforts and just my general well being.

If I can do these classes, trust me anyone else can muster up the courage to as well. Is there anyone out there that hasn't gone to any because of the fear factor?

11 comments:

jen said...

To answer your question on my blog, I started in July with Jillian Michaels's DVDs, but then switched to going to the gym to lift weights because her workouts were hard on my knees. I noticed some change in firmness in a few weeks, but yesterday was the first time I actually noticed definition in my arms -- probably because I had some excess fat covering up the muscles and that is starting to go away. For things like biceps curls, I'm using 12 pound dumbbells now. Hope this helps.

Betty said...

Not because of fear, but because I still don´t like it. I don´t know if it´s something inside of me that needs to change or what. But I always have to MAKE myself go. I know that I need it and it is good for me and I do it, but I don´t think I will ever look forward to it....

Cammy said...

This post speaks so much to my heart. I didn't do so many things because of fear. (Now I don't do them because of time. *g*)

I'm glad you're enjoying your classes so much!

elife said...

This has been a huge motivator for me as well. When I was slim, I LOVED classes. I loved that after a hard day's work, I could jump into a class, and be pushed by a teacher and (hopefully) good music. I didn't have to make any decisions for the first time all day.

Being fat, I HATED that I could no longer do the classes I loved. My knees hurt too much. So all along, it's been a huge motivation for me to get back to the point where I can take any class I want.

elife said...

This has been a huge motivator for me as well. When I was slim, I LOVED classes. I loved that after a hard day's work, I could jump into a class, and be pushed by a teacher and (hopefully) good music. I didn't have to make any decisions for the first time all day.

Being fat, I HATED that I could no longer do the classes I loved. My knees hurt too much. So all along, it's been a huge motivation for me to get back to the point where I can take any class I want.

Andrea said...

Fear kept me away for a LONG LONG time. You are the very one who gave me the courage to get out there & try it anyway. THANK YOU!! I know I'm just starting my 2nd week of classes, but you are right - they make the exercise go quickly & it helps that there are those wonderful people there who encourage you as well.

Jori said...

Hey, I'm swinging from a pole in a room full of fit, slim, sexy-looking 20-somethings! I would say my fear factor has finally left me, and I LOVE my classes. I LOATHE the treadmill, but give me a pole to swing on and I'm a happy camper!

new*me said...

glad you are finding the motivation!!! WOO-HOO!!! I got 7 hrs of exercise in this week!!!!

Okay I am a rebel this week on weigh in .........not posting it until my monthly progress pic and stats on Fri so I will jump over here with it then !!! I know :) .........sometimes you just gotta break the rules.

QL girl said...

I'm so glad you're enjoying your classes!! I feel the same way about mine, I thought I'd try it for a little while, but now I can't make myself stop going!

As for my motivation with everything else....well, i'm not sure what it is. I haven't run in a week (or more), I've been eating crap and gaining weight....its all a vicious cycle if you ask me. I'm sure as soon as I start exercising and eating right again I'll feel better, its just getting at that point thats causing me trouble right now. =[

No excuses. I've got to get back on track. My 5k is in less than a month!!! Yikes!

altopower said...

Fear definitely keeps me away - not just because of being laughed at as the obese (not just fat) one who is uncoordinated, but because I have major knee problems and just can't move as well as the younger, thinner, more fit ones can. Instead I turn into more and more of a couch potato, which isn't good either. thanks for this.

SuperDave said...

Boy it is all about motivation, isn't it? I'm glad your motivation is up because it is so difficult during the holidays.
Are you crazy - its all about the candy!! haha