Monday, November 17, 2008

Not a good day...

Last week while I was out, there was word that my company laid off about 200 people (times are tough) and that there were about 16 from my department. I did not know who was laid off. When I went into work today, I messaged a co-worker and asked her if she knew. She said, "you haven't heard?" No. Our entire testing staff had been let go, some with over 15 years with the company. She was one of them. She asked me what my title was. I told her. She asked me if I had gotten an email about a mandatory meeting. I told her no. We thought I was safe. About an hour later I found out my boss was coming to town. I immediately felt like I couldn't breathe. See, I have been with the company 11 years. We have never had lay offs until last year. The economy has taken its toll and the company is doing what it can to continue to make money. I thought our department was safe considering we have been so shorthanded. Hell, I worked 95 hours in one week a couple of weeks ago and 70 something the following week. I had IM'd my boss earlier in the day and he responded and at that time I asked him, "do we have anything to be concerned about with you coming here today". His response, "no". Phew! I felt better. I told him, "Good, because I was wondering if I would have to pack up my desk today".

Around 2p today, he calls me into the office and another man is in there from HR. Oh shit, this isn't good. Ok, well I think maybe we just have to re-apply for our jobs. My boss' boss is on the phone from home office. He starts reading the "script". Times are tough..blah blah blah. I tune out...this decision is hard for us but...blah blah blah and then WHAM...."your last day will be November 26th". I have kept my composure so far but it's waning. I have been here 11 years. I have put my blood, sweat and tears into this place...literally. HR man, whom I know, goes over "the package" and asks if I have any questions. No. He leaves. I tell my boss that he lied to me. I asked him if I should be concerned and he told me no. He said, no you asked if we had any concerns. He said he know it was symantecs but he couldn't tell me over IM. My old boss, who is my friend also knew but couldn't tell me because that would have risked her job and she felt like a heel not being able to tell me. A friend of mine that left the company knew and didn't tell me. I was totally in the dark. It was very hard for my boss to do. We go back 11 years. He has been there for me through a lot in my life. He had tears in his eyes. He didn't want to let me go but didn't have a choice. All of the managers were given a list of positions to eliminate and I just happened to occupy one of them.

So, as of next Wednesday I am jobless. I am a bit scared and worried about it. What if I don't find a job? I have already started to look and will be updating my resume tomorrow. Hopefully, in the end this will be a blessing in disguise. It's sad. It's the end of an era. I'm sad.

I did go to the gym to try to get away from reality for a bit and did ask them about reduced rates. The Y doesn't turn anyone away because of money because I would like to keep my membership so I have that to fill out. Plans for this weekend....drink!

25 comments:

Eliana said...

I'm so sorry. I know how much you have committed to your company and it doesn't seem fair that such hard-working people can be let go. It may not feel like it right now, but I hope this is the start of a new adventure, an exciting new path in life. Good luck :)

Kelly said...

I know this may sound cheesy but when one door closes, another opens. Read my blog...I actually just lost a long-term job because the company closed and my new job was a nightmare so I actually quit on my own, something I've never done in my life because I support myself and I like job security. Sometimes, you have to think above the job and the body and wonder if there's a bigger plan. It helps.

Kel
Monster on my back blog

elife said...

((Hugs)). I know it feels awful, but things get so much better. My company moved, leaving me without a job. I was sad and wallowed....and then I started kicking butt and have dropped 40 pounds since then. I would NEVER have lost this weight without this time off; it's been a Godsend.

Ms. Gigglepuss said...

Crap, that sucks about your job! It seems bleak now, but I know you'll find another one that will be great for you. I've worked for three companies that no longer exist completely so I know all about those packages and secrets beforehand. Keep your chin up and hope for the best!

Hanlie said...

What a nasty shock! I am so sorry. I will keep my fingers crossed for you!

spunkysuzi said...

I know you will find an even better job!! Where i work they are cutting hours drastically, i'm just hoping i won't lose what i have now :(

carla said...

Im thinking about you.
it is such a tough time economically and, almost impossible, to remember that what kelly says is so true.

about the doors.

**hugs** and wish I could help.

kikimonster said...

ditto kelly and miz... i was totally thinking the thing about doors/windows. it is TRUE. it is so hard for you to be going through this right before the holidays, but hang tough. you'll find something.

Andrea said...

I'm so sorry that this has happend to you! You will be in my prayers - maybe it really will turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

Jen said...

I repeat everyone's comments - I am so sorry that you have to experience this, but know that as Kelly said, when one door closes, another one opens. Stay strong & optimistic, because it's the only thing that will help get you through this tough time. And remember that this is not going to kill you, just will make you stronger.

You are in my prayers,

Jen, a priorfatgirl

Liz said...

All I can say is sorry :( I know my work had the same stuff happen yesterday but we are a small company, 3 were laid off, and I was lucky.

Good luck, and hopefully this is a blessing in disguise.

Take your stress out at the gym! That was gonna be my plan if it happened to me.

Amy S. said...

Wow, so sorry to hear about your job. Everything happens for a reason (not that you want to hear that right now, I'm sure.)You will definitely be in my prayers. Good luck.

Cammy said...

What a terrible shock! At least I've known my job loss was coming--to have it sprung on you out of the blue is terrible. My thoughts and prayers are with you, and I do *truly* believe better things are waiting for you. If I can help in any way (proofread your resume?), let me know.

Jori said...

Aww, sweetie....

((hugs)) to you.

I'm thinking about you.

RunningNan said...

Oh hun. I'm so sorry to hear. It is true that when one door closes, another one opens, and everything happens for a reason. I am sending you my best wishes.

Scale Junkie said...

OH NO! I'm so sorry to hear this, I really thought your job would be safe through all of this. I know what you mean about putting your heart and soul into a place (that place) but I truly believe another opportunity will present itself for you.

Let me know if there is anything I can do and GOOD LUCK!

ptg said...

Oh, I am so sorry...I also believe what other posters said - one door closes, another opens. When I was fired last year I thought it was the end of the world...and I let it be, for about two weeks. And then I started my new job with a new company and can't believe how wonderful it is.
I hope things get better for you soon!

Scale Junkie said...

and another thing...

Happy Birthday!

MaryFran said...

You are in my thoughts and prayers as you look for a new job!

Allison said...

Oh, man, I am so sorry to hear about your job. That really, really bites. I hope you can find a new, and better, job quickly. And I hope this turns out to be a blessing in disguise.
Lay-offs suck, but they really suck when they happen right before the holidays.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

new*me said...

I am so sorry!!! I lost my job I loved in 2000 due to downsizing and I was sooo hurt. Try to remember that when one door closes, another one opens.

Heather said...

oh my gosh! I am SO sorry to hear about this happening to you. not that its any better, but at least you know its nothing that you did personally and you can feel good that you are a hard worker and have a lot to offer. maybe thats worse - to know that despite it all this is happening, but dont doubt yourself or your capabilities and leave with integrity. I am an industrial organizational psychologist (a business psychologist), so unfortunately I have a lot of experience with this and I am just so sorry it was to you.

SeaShore said...

Wow. I'm so sorry to hear that you are being let go. And after 11 years! Good luck in your job search.

SuperDave said...

Dang I'm so sry....You never think much about these things until it touches home. Try to stay positive and I'll say a prayer for you.

Natalia said...

I am so sorry to hear about your job! I was laid off twice, back to back jobs, one company relocated to another state and the other company combined 2 offices and the person with the same job title as me had more seniority so I got laid off. I didn't have as much time in my job as you did, I can't imagine how difficult it must be to have a job of 11 years leave you. I will say that you need to look at this as an opportunity. This is a time for you to rethink your life and decide what you want to do with it. Please try not to worry too much, I know easier said then done in this economy, but just try and take a deep breath. Write down what you want to achieve and how you think you can achieve it.

When the company I worked for moved to another state, I panicked! I never had a job leave me before. I took the first job that came up. Boy did I regret that!

Weigh all your options! Breathe!

You will be in my prayers!