Monday, November 10, 2008

Reflection

    We are getting close to the end of the year and many of us started on our "journeys" at the beginning of the year. Of course, it doesn't matter when we started on our lifestyle change. Many of us are not where we want to be, or where we thought we would be. I am no where near where I thought I could be. I have hit numerous bumps in the road, some self inflicted. I wanted to focus on the positive, though. We tend to always focus on what we are doing wrong. We tend to focus on the numbers on the scale, myself included. I am a slave to my scale but I have come to terms with it. We have an agreement. Regardless of what it says, I will not get discouraged. So, my post today is about how far I have come...the things I have learned, the things that I have overcome and how I have grown (mentally) throughout this process.
  1. I have learned that I don't always have to be perfect, that one bad day doesn't need to equal a bad week. This is probably number one for me! In the past (and I know I have wrote about it before) if I had a bad day, I would throw the towel in for the week and then the cycle would start all over again.
  2. I have learned that I don't have to make the best choice all the time. I fight with myself about what I am going to order in a restaurant and I may not always make the best choice but I no longer make the worst choice.
  3. I have learned that exercise classes can be fun.
  4. I have learned that losing just 20lbs can increase my self confidence dramatically.
  5. I have learned that losing even .2 in a week is better than nothing.
  6. I have learned that not all yogurts are nasty :).
  7. I have learned that blogging my experiences on a daily basis or almost daily basis has helped me stay accountable. The support given here has helped immensely, whether they are thatta girls or kick in the arses, they are appreciated.
  8. Today, is my 7 week anniversary of belly dancing classes which means it is also my 7 week anniversary of going to the gym consistently for classes. This is another huge accomplishment for me and a first for me. It's the first time I have stuck with the gym this long consecutively! I did miss my cardio salsa class last night but did go to the gym in lieu of it. I think I might be on my way to being a gym rat. What are the odds?!

So, as I continue down this path to a thinner, sexier self (oh, and healthier..see where my priorities lie?) I want to thank all of you for being there. I am excited about my end goal and want to hurry to get there but I know it's going to take more time and a lot of effort but I am ready and for once in my life I have what it takes. I wish I knew what changed this time for me.

12 comments:

Bunny Trails said...

Beautiful post!! And soooo true :) You are inspiring!

Liz said...

Such a positive post! That is awesome. It sounds like you are in a good place as far as all this goes and that is good. I will have to take note of this and think of my positives and what I have learned.

RunningNan said...

Congrats on becoming a gym rat! 20 pounds is a great success!

Terra Kent said...

I am so glad for you HUGS

SuperDave said...

Very positive. I need to take a look at the things I have accomplished in the past month and see if that will kick my butt into gear.

ptg said...

What a great positive post. You are doing SO incredibly well - and I know you're going to keep kicking butt too!

Scale Junkie said...

Such an awesome post! 20 pounds is 20 pounds in the RIGHT direction, hold your sexy head high!

Cammy said...

Hmmm, I think we might have been studying from the same book. :) Except for that yogurt thing. I already knew that part.

Congratulations on your past, current, and future successes!

Hanlie said...

You know, it's been a pleasure sharing this journey with you... I'll most certainly be here for the rest!

moonduster said...

You're doing great and you have the right attitude to be successful at this!

Katschi said...

Oh yeah, I'm all about getting sexy, too!!!
The belly dancing is something I'd like to try to get over my shyness.
Are you loving it?

kikimonster said...

Awesome! Congrats on meeting your gym goal!!