Monday, December 15, 2008

Cops, EMS, Christmas....SIGH

Just a quick entry to let you guys know I haven't disappeared off the face of the earth. It seems I have less time now being unemployed then when I was. Strange! Probably because I am spending all my time looking for a job and doing all the things that have been neglected forever. Last week was not a good week for my goals. I neglected the gym, as well. I only made it one day. I did order the Eat to Live book and want to give it a try. I would love to get feedback from any of you if any of you have tried it!

Things are getting stressful. I am sending out resume after resume with out any luck. I know it's close to the holidays so am hoping that's the reason I haven't heard anything. I found a job today that I am perfect for, let's hope they feel the same!

Yesterday, I woke up to a cop knocking on my door. I answered the door and she said, "I suppose you're wondering why I am here". As a matter of fact! She tells me that someone was concerned about me because they hadn't heard from me in about a week. They had called the police department and explained that I had lost my job and that I might be a bit depressed and it's not normal to not hear from me. She had to go back to her car to find out the name. While she was walking back to her, I couldn't think of anyone that I hadn't talked to. She came back and it was my mother that had called. I had talked to my mother a couple days prior. Sigh. However, my mother had called the night before and said that she had sent some pictures and I didn't call her back. I didn't realize it warranted a return call. The cop called my mother and said that I was fine. After she left, I called my mother and told her I was fine and that I wasn't going to do anything stupid. So, I guess at 37 years old I need to check in every couple of days so my mother doesn't worry about me. She wants a list of my friends and their phone numbers so in the event she can't get in touch with me she can call them to make sure I'm ok. I understand, but damn!

Then this morning, she messages me. My step father was taken back to the hospital by EMS. She was told by the hospital to find his DNR papers. He had emphysema and had a recent stay in the hospital because he continued to smoke (and hide it but not very well, we all knew). He said after the last stay he would never smoke again. The doctor told him at that time it was like putting gasoline on a raging fire. Well, not long after that hospital visit, he was pouring gasoline on the fire. I talked to my mom a little bit ago and I guess he is doing ok but I imagine he will be on oxygen full time now and if he wants to smoke he will have to unhook himself. *sigh.

I can't believe it's only 10 days before Christmas. I am so NOT into the Christmas spirit this year. It doesn't even feel like Christmas. Every one on my block has their houses decorated, except me. I don't even have a Christmas tree up in the house. I think I would be perfectly ok with just staying home alone this year.

I have to say if it wasn't for A, I probably would be slipping into a mild depression but right now he is my shining light.

9 comments:

Liz said...

sounds like you had a crazy weekend...and your mom needs to just call you first, haha....hang in there!

SeaShore said...

Wow, no wonder you aren't feeling Christmasy :( So much stress and worry.

I've said a prayer for you and your mom & dad. Take care.

moonduster said...

I had an uncle with emphysema who did exactly that. He would suck down some oxygen from the machine, go outside and smoke a cigarret and then come back inside and suck oxygen because he couldn't breathe. A year after, he did actually give up smoking.

And I definitely tink you should put your Christmas tree up. Don't let the beginnings of depressions take over your actions.

Hanlie said...

Are you talking about Dr. Joel Fuhrman's Eat to Live? If so, I am loving his program, feeling great and losing weight every week.

It's nice to have people in our lives who would send the police to make sure we're okay!

Shanna said...

I have to admit, the cop story made me laugh (with you, not at you!) you were laughing, right?!? That is something my parents would totally do!
~
I am sorry everything has been so hectic for you. I wll definitely keep you in my prayers! Good luck on the job front!

Bunny Trails said...

Yah know, your mother and my mother should have a long talk. She has done that to me before! LOL

I am so sorry the job hunt isn't going so well. I am in the same boat. I haven't heard a thing from any of the resumes I sent out :( I'm sure it will all work out for both of us!!

My thoughts are with your stepdad (and your famliy)!!

I say put up the tree and turn off all the lights and lay on the couch staring at the pretty lights! It's therapeutic!

Natalia said...

Oh boy - mothers, gotta love them right?! They love us to death! :) That story made me cringe on your behalf, I smiled but I cringed too! Being a mother I could see myself doing that to my poor son. *cringe*

Sorry to hear about your step dad. I hope that your mom is doing OK. That's a lot of stress!

Hang in there with the job search, I know that something will turn up for you!

Deb said...

My mother called the cops to check on me once. I feel so much better knowing someone else's mom has done that. I thought mine was whacko!!! Maybe it's more common than I think!

Deb said...

My mother called the cops to check on me once. I feel so much better knowing someone else's mom has done that. I thought mine was whacko!!! Maybe it's more common than I think!