Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Verdict is in...

Well, I went there yesterday and was offered the position. I'm not dancing on tables. The first offer was pitiful to say the least. Many would say I should accept it because it's a job. However, it is 78 miles away (one way) and it would make it extremely difficult to look for another job. They offered an additional $3000 a year and still was not enough. The salary that they are offering is $38k below what the median income is for this position. Now, I wasn't asking for what the median was, not even close. I found out the benefit package isn't all that great. There are no paid holidays, you have to use alloted time they give you to take off the holidays, which really leaves no vacation time. Ughh. The job, would however, give me unbelievable experience for my future. So, you see how I am torn? Last night, I was ready to decline the job and my parents even supported my decision. This morning I called the IT director and told him that I was a bit disappointed in what was offered, that I appreciated the opportunity but unfortunately at the salary they were offering I was going to have to turn it down. He told me that he was actually meeting with his boss today to talk about the position. I told him the minimum I would take and he told me that he would get back to me this afternoon.

So, I was offered the job. I declined the job and now I am waiting to hear again. I feel like I am at a used car lot.

10 comments:

Jessica @ Pudget: Losing Weight On A Budget said...

You poor thing. It seems like it is taking forever for you to find out if you have this job. I know how disappointing it is to be offered a job at a salary lower then what you were expecting. Good for you for standing up for yourself and telling them that it wasn't enough. I really hope it all works out and you get offered the job at the salary you want.

HollyALP said...

I have to offer a "Good for you!" for your negotiations. I think what you did was very brave. I bet you'll get what you asked for, too.

Jen, a priorfatgirl said...

Oh, this is such an emotional process...even for me as a reader. I cannot imagine the rollercoaster you are on - but you are handling it GREAT! Congrats on the job offer & congrats on knowing you deserve more :)

elife said...

Congrats on getting the offer. I know the pain you're in; I've turned down 2 positions with great salaries, but one would take my career off track and the other would cause me to have to shoot myself. I tell myself it's for the best, but it does create angst!! Hang in there.

Big Girl said...

Well at least it sounds like you're in the drivers seat. I hope they come back with something decent, you deserve it.

new*me said...

hope it goes your way......that's a lot of driving......especially if gas goes back up again.

RunningNan said...

I've got my fingers crossed for you!

ptg said...

Ugh! What a long time to figure everything out, especially considering how long it took to even offer you the position.

But good for you for standing up for yourself and telling em what youre worth. It's hard - incredibly hard - but you're definitely worth more.

*hugs* to you and good thoughts coming your way!

Deb said...

Good for you for asking for what you want. I hope you get it!

carla said...

Im here with the GREAT FOR YOU as well.

for knowing what you are worth and for asking for it no matter how difficult.