Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Acai

Today, my entry is about the acai berry, pronounced a-sigh-ee. Acai has been used for many generations by the natives of Brazil. Acai boasts 10 times the antioxidant benefits of grapes and twice that of blueberries and is now being advertised everywhere about its health benefits. BEWARE: DO NOT FALL FOR THESE FREE TRIAL OFFERS!!!!! THEY ARE SCAMS. If you want to try it go to your local health food store. That is my public service announcement for today :). Ok, back to my speel about the acai. I have personal friends that swear by it. I haven't used it long enough to know whether or not if it truly helps but I will say that since I have been taking it (about a week) I haven't been as hungry and I'm eating 1000-1300 calories a day but it's too soon to tell. Here's what they say about it (whoever they is):

What are the 59 Health Benefits that Made Acai Berry So Famous?


Prolongs Your Life
Increases Your Energy
Increases Your Overall Strength
Helps you Look and Feel Younger
Helps You Maintain Healthy Blood Pressure
Prevents Cancer
Helps You Maintain Healthy Cholesterol Levels
Promotes Normal Blood Sugar
Enhances Sexual Function
Helps You Lose Weight
Relieves Headaches and Dizziness
Improves Quality of Sleep
Improves Your Vision
Strengthens Your Heart
Inhibits Lipid Peroxidation
Improves Disease Resistance
Strengthens Your Immune System
Helps Your Body Fight Cancer
Protects Your Precious DNA
Inhibits Tumor Growth
Reduces the Toxic Effects of Chemotherapy and Radiation
Helps to Build Strong Blood
Helps with Chronic Dry Cough
Fights Inflammation and Arthritis
Improves Lymphocyte Count
Improves Menopausal Symptoms
Prevents Morning Sickness
Improves Fertility
Strengthens Your Muscles and Bones
Supports Normal Kidney Function
Improves Your Memory
Supports Healthy Liver Function
Alleviates Anxiety and Stress
Improves Your Mood
Improves Your Digestion
Helps You Maintain Healthy Gums
Fights Fibromyalgia
Prevents Allergies
Protects Children’s Health
Promotes Overall Wellness
Increases workout recovery
Increases injury recovery
Helps to Reduce Physical Injuries
Relieves Arthritis Pain
Helps to Clear Skin of Warts
Reduces the Occurrence of Seizures
Helps Improve & Even Cure Leukemia
Fights General Depression
Supports Weight Loss through Fat Loss
Helps Slow Down the Aging Process
Provides all Vital Vitamins
Contains Several Important Minerals
Is an extremely Powerful Free Radical Fighter
Acai has very High Levels of Fibers
Cleanses and Detoxifies the Body of Infectious Toxins
Helps to Prevent Heart Problems
Improves Mental Clarity/Focus
Improves Circulation
Cures Osteoporosis


Now, here is what WebMed says about it:

Can acai berries boost weight loss?

Scientists are learning more about the functional power of superfoods, such as the acai berry. Although acai is touted in some weight loss products, few studies have tested the benefit of acai in promoting weight loss.

For now, plenty of research supports eating a diet rich in antioxidants. There’s no doubt that berries and other fruits are a key part of any healthy diet promoting weight loss. The jury’s still out on whether there is something special about acai’s ability to shed excess pounds.

Why are acai berries used in beauty products?

Some cosmetics and beauty products contain acai oil in the ingredient list. That’s because acai oil is a powerhouse of antioxidants. Studies show that acai oil may be a safe alternative to other tropical oils used in beauty products such as facial and body creams, anti-aging skin therapies, shampoos and conditioners, and other products. When acai oil is processed and stored long-term, the antioxidant levels remain high.

Do acai berries and acai juice have any side effects?
If you have pollen allergies or have a known hypersensitivity to acai or similar berries, you may want to avoid this fruit. When eaten in moderate amounts, though, acai is likely safe.

Here is another link with information on the acai http://www.acai-health.com/info.php.



10 comments:

Manuela said...

So good to see you posting again!

My mother takes Acai and we have friends who swear by it also. People just have to make sure that it's the pure stuff (no added fruit juices).

Good luck with the NutriSystem--my sister did it for a short time but gave up on it. Have you ever tried Jenny Craig? (worked for Valerie but poor Kirstie!)

Christina said...

That's great information, thank you for posting that!! I will have to look into that!

ILL said...

Has anyone seen this new lip balm that was on the Today Show claiming to help with weight loss? I found a few videos of it on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugkplx6HQ30

carla said...

I laugh that for eons IN MY HEAD I called it ahhh-caiiii.

thankfully I never said that outloud :)

Lisa said...

hmmmm... I might have to check it out!

- Lisa
www.losewithlisa.blogspot.com

Natalie said...

So many people seem to be struggling to lose weight . . . I just thought I should share my new favorite weight-loss system - Isagenix. My family (parents & siblings) found this after they moved away. At first I hesitated trying it . . . even after they ALL lost weight. But finally my mother convinced me, and starting last month, I began the system. I can't believe I have already lost almost 20 pounds! I was just shy of 200 lbs, which was the heaviest I have ever been, and now . . . 182.4 as of yesterday morning! And its only been 7 weeks. And my husband has lost even more than me! Two months ago I thought this was impossible. I have pain in my hip and neck that really limit my exercise, and I work full time, which makes it hard to find the time to constantly buy and prepare healthy meals. But Isagenix is fast, easy, and very healthy! I spend less on isagenix meals then what I was spending before, and the meals are super fast to prepare. The website is http://reachyourdream.isagenix.com . If you sign up as an associate you get to buy at wholesale prices, which is a lot cheaper! No obligation to sell it, but you can earn $ signing other people up if you just want to. Any questions, just ask me! reachyourdream.isagenix@gmail.com

David said...

Hi good blog,

If you really want to reduce your weight then use portable infrared sauna.

Marto Petev said...

Thank you for the interesting post. It was really nice to know.

Acai Berry Thin

WELLNESS PROFESSOR said...

I have heard a lot of positive news about acai berries from Brazil. Even so i have never eaten or consumed any supplement that contains acai. I have commonly heard people say that it causes natural weight loss but i do not know if there is truth to this. Reading your article has helped me discover more benefits of acai berries. Perhaps i will consider buying the real acai soon. Thanks.

Mike Ross said...

I am gathering in formation about Acai Berry as I am working on a campaign because I am a member of a Health Affiliate Network, I find you article very detailed, thanks a lot!