Tuesday, July 14, 2009

NutriSystem and Why....

Well, I had my 3rd day on NutriSystem and let's just say it wasn't a good day. Not because of my willpower but because the food I had today wasn't fit for a dog. My lunch was Parmesan Pasta with Brocolli, absolutely horrible. *Vomit. I had to throw it out, so I ate my mixed veggies for lunch. I passed on the cookies being passed around the table. Yay me! For dinner, I was having chicken with rice, vegetables and almonds. Sound good? Um, no. I think my dog would have turned his nose up at it! So now I know there are two foods that are off the shopping list. I ended up having to find something at my mom's house to eat so I had an egg sandwich with my broccoli.

So far the good/decent foods have been: blueberry muffins, meatloaf with mashed potatoes, thick crust pizza, cheesy potatoes, chocolate chocolate chip pudding, fudge brownie, white chocolate macadamia nut cookie, rice with beans and sausage.

Many wonder why I have decided to go with NutriSystem instead of just buying Lean Cuisines or something at the store and doing it my own for possibly less money and possibly better tasting food. I'm going to tell you why...

I did NutriSystem many years ago and had success with it, prior to them having as many choices as they have now. I had lost 40lbs with it fairly easy. Of course, I didn't keep it off. Here's my thinking though. I have to dish out $300 a month for the food. That's a lot of money up front for food. I'm one of those that if I don't feel like eating what I have for lunch/dinner, I will get something else normally. Paying $300 a month for food, doesn't allow me that choice. I don't have to think about the food so much anymore. I just fill out the number of each that I want for breakfasts, lunches and dinners and I'm done. Granted, I still need to go to the store and buy a few things like veggies, fruits, the occasional roll, milk on occasion but you get the point. I don't plan on doing this forever because I know me well enough to know that I can't. I want to eat healthier and eating processed food despite how many vitamins you fill it with doesn't necessarily make it healthier. I just need the kickstart. Time will tell...

9 comments:

Eliana said...

I dont think we have Nutrisystem in Australia. We have a food delivery system I have used (and still occasionally use) called Lite n Easy (also really expensive, but easy to lose weight on).

The big difference I found between the Lean Cuisine type foods and the Lite n Easy ones was the dinners were actually much bigger and had way more protein, so you felt more satisfied. I had a Lean Cuisine for tea the other night and there were like three tiny scraps of chicken and a whole heap of sauce. I felt hungry again within about an hour!

Thinking Thin said...

Oh well let me tell you Lean Cuisines have more meat in them. I opened up the meatloaf and it was about the 1/2 the size of a deck of cards but the meal itself had like 6g of fiber and I'm eating lots of veggies and fruit with it. I haven't been really hungry on it. I'm also back on my Topomax and taking Acai.

Eliana said...

What are Topomax and Acai? I've never heard of either.

I found high fibre diets help satiety levels, but for me the difference has really been the protein. I used to follow the rule that snack = fruit. Now I still have my fruit but I also make sure I have a protein food too - little can of tuna, boiled egg, diet yoghurt. Otherwise I'm hungry within an hour or so.

Hunger has always been a problem for me. I did Jenny Craig as well and the best I ever got was not-hungry; never satisfied, never full, just no longer hungry. I suppose it is healthy but it's a tough adjustment for me! Good luck though :)

carla said...

it is all so UNIQUE TO THE INDIVIDUAL too.

Ive had friends find Nutri. and Jenny to be precisely what they needed to be their jumpstart to losing.

and, after time, they segued to making all their own foods.

*good luck*

MizFit

Lori said...

I did NS for about 8 months when I was totally flailing around. There were a lot of foods I didn't like and a lot that I did, and it is different for everyone.

I was just glad to not have to think about food for a while and it really helped me get on track and transition back to eating my own foods.

Like any program - it is a tool to teach you things.

Scale Junkie said...

I found that I don't like much of anything that is highly processed anymore. I emailed you links or you can google Nutrisystem on your own and see some of the menu's and meals people have created doing it on their own.

firts said...

Cool post! Thanks! I found a Fast weight loss programm!

Publish your passions said...

I learn some new stuff from it too, thanks for sharing your information. nutrisystem lean 23

Fatima Ali said...

Keep up the good work , I read few posts on this web site and I conceive that your blog is very interesting and has sets of fantastic information. nutrisystem lean 13 review